A little faith and a lot of love go a long way…

Vacation with toddlers…Part 3

on July 22, 2013

(Get caught up with part 1 here and part 2 here!)

Thankfully when I broke the news to the Gorilla and the rest of my family that Pop Pop was demanding dinner before shopping, they were only mildly irritated and there were no earth-shattering meltdowns. The Gorilla refused to sit still or eat his dinner, but we made it and finally at 8:30 p.m. (Arizona time) we found a Target and purchased the Thomas Shark Exhibit. Success!

The next few days were a whirlwind of activities…

Chillin' out at the hotel...

Chillin’ out at the hotel…

...eating delicious southwestern food...

…eating delicious southwestern food…


…buying (and wearing) silly hats…

051 …visiting family…


…dressing up (Big Daddy Byron & me)…


…attending a wedding…


…and swimming!

Though we really did have a lot of fun, doing these things was far from easy.  Our toddlers didn’t care that we were in Arizona, at a hotel, or trying to chat with family we hadn’t seen in years.  They wanted what they wanted NOW. But we survived and on the 15th, we began the long trip home.

I woke up and did not feel well at all.  I was focused on not vomiting anywhere in public so I didn’t look very nice as I really didn’t care what I looked like as long as there were no bodily fluids spewing from me. (Vomiting after waking up? Is she PREGNANT?!  – you) (ABSOLUTELY NOT. No, I am not pregnant! – me) After we returned the rental cars and made it through security we headed to our gate.  I was feeling slightly better but still weak when another female passenger caught my eye, looked me up and down, made a face and rolled her eyes at me.  She clearly conveyed her message that my hobo look was not welcome in her presence.  Thankfully (for her) I was weak and not in the mood to put her in her place.  Thankfully (for me) another stranger would do an act of kindness that completely cancelled this out near the end of our trip!

The two flights home were a little easier than the first two since the Gorilla and Binxy knew what to expect.  They weren’t happy about having to sit in one spot for 2-3 hours at a time, but they were a little less vocal about their displeasure. By the time we reached Baltimore at 11:00 p.m. Pennsylvania time, we were all tired, grouchy, and not looking forward to the hour and a half drive from the airport to our home.

During the last 15 minutes of the flight, Binxy had fallen asleep in my arms.  I carried her off the plane and to the baggage claim area where I found a bench to settle down on while everyone else went to collect our luggage.

I was really cherishing this time with my sleeping angel.  You see, since she is such a good sleeper and has never slept with us, only in her crib, I never really get to see her sleep…especially not in a well lit area where I can really look at her. She. Is. Gorgeous. I was relishing in the fact that the little angel in my arms was my baby when I felt a hand on my knee. I looked up and there was another mom, unknown to me, though I recognized her from our flight as we had made eye contact and smiled as we were boarding a few hours before.  She was maybe 5 or 10 years older than me, and she was smiling yet again.  I saw her little (and big) ones walk past with her husband and she said, “You’re a trooper mom. You’re doing a great job.  I know how it is traveling with kids and you’re doing fine.  Go home and get some rest, you deserve it.” And then she walked away.

I am not someone who cries easily so I did not cry. But I did have tears in my eyes which is significant. This total stranger from our flight took the time to stop by and tell a haggard looking mom (me) that she’s doing a good job. I was really touched and grateful that God sent this woman my way with this particular message at a time when I really needed it.

Before I knew it my family was ready to go with our bags.  We hopped on the wrong bus and headed to the daily parking garage instead of the long-term parking lot.  Finally we got on the right bus which was PACKED.  The driver was a tough lady who was not taking anyone’s crap even though there were some rude people on the bus who were making comments about her. (Apparently everyone was irritated and ready to get home.) As we entered and couldn’t find seats she demanded that someone give their seat up for me since I was still holding a sleeping Binxy (who was beginning to wake), and a very nice lady did so immediately. By the time we reached our stop, Binxy had fully woken and peed through her diaper all over me and no one could remember exactly where the van was.  Needless to say there was some yelling and profanity discussion about where the van was and what we were doing. At long last, my dad located the van, Big Daddy Byron changed Binxy, we loaded up and took off.  And hour and a half later, we were home, sweet home.  By 2 a.m. I had changed out of my urine soaked clothes (thanks Binxy!) and we finally fell asleep in our bed. AMEN!

It definitely wasn’t our most relaxing vacation but it was memorable. And that’s what vacations are all about…making memories! 🙂


One response to “Vacation with toddlers…Part 3

  1. […] Vacation with toddlers…Part 3 Jul […]

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: